7 September 2018
* Greens launch Political Programme setting out vision for future
* Party’s plan for “radical system overhaul” focuses on People’s Vote on Brexit, action on climate change and overhaul of world of work
* Jonathan Bartley: “We are the only party with the bright ideas needed to face the future”
The Green Party has put forward its bold alternative to the “vapid centrism” which has dominated politics in recent decades.
The party today launched its Political Programme as part of its election planning, outlining Green plans for the “radical system overhaul” needed to equip Britain to face the future.
Jonathan Bartley, co-leader of the Green Party, criticised centrism for “disillusioning a generation of voters” as he put forward his party’s alternative to “old school, moderate politics”.
The Political Programme includes plans to:
* Return democracy to the British public with a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal
* Tackle climate change with an end to fracking and investment in a renewable revolution
* Overhaul the world of work with a four day week and a Universal Basic Income
The announcement comes three days after it was announced Jonathan Bartley and Sian Berry won the Green leadership race. They will take office on September 15 when Bartley’s current co-leader, Caroline Lucas, will step back after deciding not to re-stand.
Bartley and Berry have promised to set the Green Party on path to become Britain’s third political party.
Jonathan Bartley, co-leader of the Green Party, said:
“I’m excited to put forward the Green alternative to old school, moderate politics. Vapid centrism has failed the big challenges of our time and disillusioned a generation of voters in the process.
“People deserve politics with passion, and politicians who are brave enough to stand up for what they believe in. That’s why we’re building a fierce Green resistance to fight for what Britain really needs: radical system overhaul.
“From championing a People’s Vote on Brexit to proposing bold policies like a four day working week we are the only party who can be trusted to always put forward the bright ideas needed to face the future.”